Re: dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

Hello!

On 04-Nov-2001 Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> In your original mail, the question was what to do about symbolic
> links like "missing --> /usr/share/automake/missing".  The answer is:
> replace them by the file to which they are linked.

Yes, thanks. I do understand another part of this autoconf
mess now.
I thought the autotools might be able to copy files instead of
making symlinks. But it looks like I have to replace the symlinks
with files by myself. Do you or does anyone here have a Makefile/sh
snippet which I might use for this task?

> the old version is "nonexistent".  Normally one would expect the
> source distribution to include these files (INSTALL, install-sh, etc).

No, I am packaging from the official release tar file. These needed
files are not included in upstream source.
Upstream provides an autogen.sh script. The user is supposed
to run that script and a normal "make;make install" works
after that.

> If you are deleting the files yourself, then the fix is simple: don't
> do that.  Notwithstanding autotools-dev README, I find the best policy
> for dealing with auto-based packages is to simply drop in the latest
> /usr/share/misc/config.{guess,sub}, if required, and build.

See above, this is not true in my case.

> However, after a number of bug reports, I have changed my mind.  It
> doesn't pay to mess around with automake/autoconf/libtool and stuff
> inside debian/rules.  All I do now is: make any tweaks to Makefile.am
> or configure.in, re-run the auto-stuff on my local copy, and live with
> the enlarged diff that results.

I do not need to change anything until now. But I need to run these
tools. You say you "re-run the auto-stuff on your local copy". As I understand
you here you run it manually and then you build the diff after that.
I want to reach the same goal, but don't want to do it manually.
Therefore I do "mess around with automake/.. inside debian/rules" and call the
apropriate scripts there. This should lead to the same results, right?

>                                  If you need to run-something like
> autogen.sh that has "automake --add-missing --force", just replace the
> resulting symlinks by the corresponding file.  Again, you need only do
> this once.

What do you mean by saying I only need to do this once? I do
replace this files everytime the symlinks get created. That is,
everytime I build a new Debian package including the diff.
I feel I am missing your point here absolutely.  ;)

Thanks for your input!

   Florian

--
  Florian Hinzmann                         private: f.hinzmann@hamburg.de