Re: dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

Hi Eduard!

On 04-Nov-2001 Eduard Bloch wrote:
>#include <hallo.h>
> Florian Hinzmann wrote on Sun Nov 04, 2001 um 08:18:47PM:
>
>> I can't do a configure run as there is no configure script!
>> I do have to run the autotools scripts.
>>
>> The question is when to run it. Before or after the Debian
>> diff is built.
>
> Well, if you _need_ the makefile to clean the cruft after the build, you
> may run autogen.sh once, then "make clean", then remove the fresh
> created symlinks, then dh_clean. IMHO.

I do not need to clean the cruft and I cannot remove the symlinks.
On the contrary I need to create this files before XFMail will
build.

>> > They should not. If they become trouble, then either your package is
>>
>> Might be, the should not. But as a matter of fact they do.
>> What now?
>
> Find out what actually breaks on auto-builders and file bug reports.

Not possible. There have been many bugreports and the
way described in doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.gz is one
solution to this problem.
The autobuilders are not the problem by themselves. They
fail or may fail because of newer versions of automake/autoconf/etc.
are not compatible to older versions at all times. Therefore
the autobuilders should not have to run the autotools. Therefore
I have to run them before creating the diff and this is what
I am trying to do.
All this, like my last mails, as far as I understand this. I am
not 100% sure about this. That is why I keep posting to this
mailing list.  ;)

> That is why compatibility is a holy grail in Debian development.

And I am trying to ensure this compatibility. I am trying to build
XFMail a way it does not suffer from weaknesses the autotools seem
to have.

  Regards
     Florian

--