Re: Playing with dpkg's mind

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:56:34AM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> In following I call the old version of the package OP, the transition
> package TP, and the game file I want to keep GF.

why not have TP depend upon GF1 GF2 GF3 GF4 GF5 ?

TP is supposed to be a meta-package, right?

upon re-reading the proposal, it looks like you want to have an
installer be able to go to the FTP site, and grab the games in question.

i see this as being done in basically one of three ways:

1) the task meta pacakges of yore
2) qmail-src, that gets a tarball, and then makes a .deb, which is then
installed
3) mscorefonts, that gets some .exe's, extracts the fonts, and places
them in the filesystem where they belong.

mscorefonts gets all the fonts at the time of installation, and has an
updater along with it. i am not certain that it allows the selective
removal and addition of various games.

if i understand correctly: you want a package that allows the
insallation and removal of games on an individual basis, but will get a
whole bunch at one time.

the first half can be done via apt/dpkg. the second half can be done via
a meta-package like the -task packages of yore.

my 2¢.

-john