Re: apt-howto's package

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> writes:

> I am the author and packager of apt-howto, as soon as it was
> translated into english from portuguese, I packaged it and added it
> to the DDP, I was adviced, on the -devel list to just create one
> package: apt-howto with all the translations of the manual, but I am
> now receiving more translations and I think it will be a waste of
> space for the one who installs it...

Rather than creating many packages, I think what we really need to do
is implement support in dpkg for translations.  For example, I'd like
to say "Don't install any translations except English" on my personal
systems.  Then when I "apt-get install apt-howto", those extra files
won't be installed.

Even more generally, I'd like to be able to say "Don't install any
documentation at all", or "Don't install man pages"...  This was
discussed a while ago, but I can't seem to find it in the archives.

> I want to create apt-howto-$lang packages and probably one apt-howto
> meta-package that'll depend on all of them, as I don't like to be
> english-centric, and will not be satisfied installing apt-howto-en
> when asked for apt-howto, my target is the world, and not the
> enlighs-readers, what do you think?

If you're still at two or three translations, I think it would be
overkill to split the package.

If you really want to save bandwidth for people, implementing the
automatic translation idea in doc-base would be much better :)