Re: New key procedure

On Friday, October 26, 2001 05:04:36 +0200 Alexander List <alexlist@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:

On 25 Oct 2001, James Troup wrote:

Anybody can update existing keys but new keys will be ignored.
Alexander's key is new.

OK, as I want to switch from PGP to GPG, I did as told (and mentioned in
the Developers's reference) and read

[snip]

Tried that, but gpg doesn't accept the passphrase of my old PGP secret
key :-(.

I'd be happy about new proposals to fix this, as I want to avoid using the
(non-free) PGP5 to solve the problem ;-)

How about if you use PGP5 just for a second... I recently did this. Using PGP, change the passphrase on the private key to nothing, so it's unencrypted. Then, also using PGP, export the key (I used the ascii armor format). Then use gpg to import it and give it a passphrase again. Then (of course) delete the exported, non-passphrase protected key. Then you can delete pgp forever.

-David