Re: lintian - man pages

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 03:22:55PM -0700, vishnu@pobox.com wrote:
> i'm the upstream maintainer for a package, but i'm add the initial
> debian support too.  i built a deb, but lintian 1.20.16 is complaining:
>
> ** problem1:
>
> E: redael: binary-without-manpage redael
> E: redael: binary-without-manpage redael-filmview
> W: redael: file-in-unusual-dir share/man/man1/redael.1
> W: redael: file-in-unusual-dir share/man/man1/redael-filmview.1
>
> This seems really silly.  Do i need to pass some options to dh_installman?
> i read the man page, but my impression is that dh_installman is designed
> for upstream packages that don't have man pages.  i'm missing something
> really obvious.

The manpages are in the wrong place; they should be in usr/share/man/man1.
If the manpages are installed using the upstream "make install", then you
don't need to fool with "dh_installman".

Perhaps you did
	make install prefix=debian/tmp
instead of
	make install prefix=debian/tmp/usr

where "tmp" might be "redael", depending on how you set DH_COMPAT.

If the upstream is done right with automake, you could also use
"make install DESTDIR=debian/tmp"

> ** problem2:
>
> W: redael: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation usr/share/doc/redael/INSTALL
> E: redael: symlink-should-be-relative usr/share/doc/redael/INSTALL /usr/share/automake/INSTALL
>
> A generic INSTALL is required by GNU standards, no?

GNU standards apply to the source package, not the binary one.
I tend not to include install instructions in the .deb.

>  i'm using autotools
> to build stuff.  Should i replace the symlink with a copy of the file?

I wouldn't include anything, but if you insist, it should simply be a relative
link, like the (second) error message says.  The link should be, in other words,
"../../automake/INSTALL".

-Steve

P.S.  Lintian's "-i" option can be extremely helpful!

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,