Re: lintian - man pages

On Sunday 14 Oct 2001 11:22 pm, vishnu@pobox.com wrote:
> i'm the upstream maintainer for a package, but i'm add the initial
> debian support too.  i built a deb, but lintian 1.20.16 is
> complaining:
>
> ** problem1:
>
> E: redael: binary-without-manpage redael
> E: redael: binary-without-manpage redael-filmview
> W: redael: file-in-unusual-dir share/man/man1/redael.1
> W: redael: file-in-unusual-dir share/man/man1/redael-filmview.1
>
> This seems really silly.  Do i need to pass some options to
> dh_installman? i read the man page, but my impression is that
> dh_installman is designed for upstream packages that don't have man
> pages.  i'm missing something really obvious.

No, dh_installman is for all manpages.  you just tell it what manpages
to install.

Where did share/man/man1/redael.1 come from?  that should be
usr/share/man/man1/redael.1

> ** problem2:
>
> W: redael: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation
> usr/share/doc/redael/INSTALL E: redael: symlink-should-be-relative
> usr/share/doc/redael/INSTALL /usr/share/automake/INSTALL
>
> A generic INSTALL is required by GNU standards, no?  i'm using
> autotools to build stuff.  Should i replace the symlink with a copy
> of the file?

No.  INSTALL belongs in the source package.  Not the binary package

from policy 13.3:

It is often a good idea to put text information files (`README's,
changelogs, and so forth) that come with the source package in
`/usr/share/doc/<package>' in the binary package.  However, you don't
need to install the instructions for building and installing the
package, of course!

--
Stephen Stafford
finger bagpuss@debian.org to get gpg public key