Re: new package (rocketworkbench), need sponsor, advocate etc

On Monday 08 October 2001 23:28, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 09:02:04PM +1000, Geoff O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I've packaged a new tool (or suite of tools)...  Here's the blurb...
>
> Geoff,
>
> I don't know anything about rockets but I was intrigued.
> Your package looks good. I think you are missing a build-dependency
> on cgilib (without it, it can't find cgi.h).

Yup... you're right... I'll take care of it.

> Your debian/copyright file should say where you obtained the sources
> (which you currently have in README.Debian).

Ok.

> The layout of the original source is a bit odd. Is cpropep just
> part of the sf project, with more tools appearing later? It
> has an extra level of subdirectory than is usual eg
> rocketworkbench-1.0.20010807.orig/rocketworkbench/...

Yes, cpropep is part of a set of tools.  It's just the only one that is
'ready'.  Yes, the source layout is pretty weird, but I didn't want to stuff
around with it too much to get it into a Debian package.  I just use the CVS
repository 'as is' except for a couple of 'bug fixes' to get it to compile at
all which i'm feeding upstream and a bit of surgery to stop really broken
utilities from attempting to being built.  I need to clean that up some more.

> /usr/share/doc/rocketworkbench/README.txt only contains build
> instructions; are they useful to the end user of the package?

Ok.... I'll actually *create* some better doco.  A lot of the other Debs i've
been looking at seem to just find any README.* or other misc text files and
dump them in doc/package/*.  I agree that it should be useful stuff and not
just crap.

> I haven't sponsored anyone before but I can if you wish.

Hey that'd be great.

Cheers
Geoff