Re: looking for a sponsor

Hello Admar,

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Admar Schoonen wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 04:57:41PM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 03:23:59PM +0200, Admar Schoonen wrote:
> > > I've written a program called demish. I would like to see that package in
> > > Debian, but since I am not a developer (and I don't want to be one, just for
> > > maintaining one package), I am looking for a sponor.

> > I'm not convinced we should have package maintainers who aren't even
> > intending to become full-fledged developers; I don't think that's what
> > the sponsorship process was designed to achieve. Perhaps you should
> > remain as the upstream developer and get someone else to maintain the
> > Debian package, the way normal packages work?

> Perhaps I've expressed myself a little wrong. Consider me an upstream
> developer, rather than a package maintainer. (I've only created a package
> since it's a little easier to install than a .tgz. If my sponsor wants/needs
> to create a new package from source, that's ok with me.)

> Still looking for a sponsor...

If you do not intend to become a Debian developer, what you really want here
is an RFP -- request for packaging.  Even though you already have a package
built, as you said the `sponsor' (actually maintainer) may find it easier to
create a new package from scratch; either way, you are looking for someone to
make a long-term commitment as the Debian maintainer of the package.

You can submit an RFP by filing a wishlist bug in the Debian BTS against the
'wnpp' package, including 'RFP' in the title of the bug.  Please include in
your bug report relevant information about the package, such as copyright
information and what the program does.  It may also be helpful to mention that
you already have created .deb packages for the software.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer