Re: Lintian error: depends-on-essential-package-without-using-version bash

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 03:20:28AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:

> But doing this, lintian gives the warning:
>
> E: tzwatch: depends-on-essential-package-without-using-version bash
>
> I can't find much in Debian policy about this, so I'd like to ask, what
> does this error mean, and why is it an error?

Thanks for your replies.  We don't need to depend on essential packages,
unless there's a particular version where a new feature was added.  I'll be
able to leave out the dependency on bash, then.

> Lastly, is there a reliable way of confirming that I do not in fact have any
> bashisms, so that #!/bin/sh would be sufficient?  sh is linked to bash, so
> simply writing #!/bin/sh in the script is not sufficient.

I tried ash, it gave the error:

[: ==: unexpected operator
./tzwatch: 64: Syntax error: "do" unexpected (expecting "done")

coming from a select do...done...statement.

That's a bit strange, since the bash info pages seem to be saying the select
construct is a basic shell command.  Nevermind, I won't lose too much sleep
over it, I'll just leave it as "bash" :)

Thanks,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A