Re: Lintian error: depends-on-essential-package-without-using-version bash

Drew Parsons wrote:
> depends-on-essential-package-without-using-version [...]
>
> I can't find much in Debian policy about this, so I'd like to ask, what
> does this error mean, and why is it an error?

Many packages have a Depends line similar to this one:

Depends: [...], debianutils (>= 1.6)

debianutils is essential, but the tempfile command only exists in
debianutils 1.6 or higher.

Cases like this are the only ones where an essential package is
"justified" in a Depends line, that's why lintian says without-using-version,
it refers to the (>= 1.6) thing in the example.