Re: Making multiple packages from source.

#include <hallo.h>
Philipp Frauenfelder wrote on Tue Aug 21, 2001 um 01:38:35PM:

> I guess he wants to build a
> foo
> package and a
> foo-i686
> package as it was done with libc6 some time ago.

I guess too, but the foo-i686 would cause Grave-Bugs soon. But there is
another issue: I considered to create a special optimisation branches
for specific CPU types using the following concept:

- Packages are recompiled with specific optimisations and get a version
  number like 0.5.1-4.athlon.1.
- Optimised package are stored in a different, apt-able directory
- All packages depend on so-called key package, ie. on "opt-athlon"
- "opt-athlon" itself is not apt-able and must be installed by the user
  manually. Once installed, apt would fetch the optimised packages.
- "opt-athlon" contain also a script, which allows the user to remove
  all optimised stuff. This is simple done by searching in apt's lists,
  removing the .athlon* extension from the version number and invoking
  apt-get install package=version package=version. I imagine something
  like: apt-get install `opt-downgrade --non-optimised`
  (and the script will insert the right version numbers).

Does anyone mind if I start implementing this?

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Space Cadet wrote:
> wird jetzt aus meinem 100%-WindowsNTkompatiblen, 100%-absturzsicheren
> Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 (ist übrigens auch Freeware) entfernt.
So ein Glück aber auch. Spart den Eintrag im Killfile.
                                               (Jörg Fischer in dcoulh)