Re: Transition from config file to debconf

Hi Simon

Am Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 05:32:35PM +0200 hat Simon Richter getippert:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Philipp Frauenfelder wrote:
> > As a last step, I would like to write some sort of transition
> > script which parses the old config file (parsing is easy!) and
> > inserts the values into the database _before_ the user is asked
> > to fill in the debconf forms.
>
> [using the preinst script to read in the config file]
>
> Don't use the preinst script for that, config is perfectly acceptable. If
> you read in the values in the preinst, your package would have to
> Pre-Depend on debconf, which is a no-no.

I know. I would have used some sort of

if [ -e /usr/share/debconf/confmodule ]; then

to avoid the Pre-Depend.

> Look at the uptimed package, it has two config scripts (one sh, the other
> perl) that do exactly what you want.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have a look at this package.

Regards
--
Philipp        work                    home
Frauenfelder   pfrauenf@math.ethz.ch   pfrauenf@debian.org