Re: Transition from config file to debconf

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Philipp Frauenfelder wrote:

> As a last step, I would like to write some sort of transition
> script which parses the old config file (parsing is easy!) and
> inserts the values into the database _before_ the user is asked
> to fill in the debconf forms.

[using the preinst script to read in the config file]

Don't use the preinst script for that, config is perfectly acceptable. If
you read in the values in the preinst, your package would have to
Pre-Depend on debconf, which is a no-no.

Look at the uptimed package, it has two config scripts (one sh, the other
perl) that do exactly what you want.

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: DC26 EB8D 1F35 4F44 2934  7583 DBB6 F98D 9198 3292