Re: Sponsors?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 05:19:43AM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:01:14PM +0200, Martin Sj|gren wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:21:52PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > Ask here, if there is somebody who are interested in the packages you
> > > have packaged, you might get a sponsor quicker.
> >
> > Why that's a terrific idea =)
> >
> > The package is gap, which was orphaned a while ago and I ITA. The package
> > description is:
> >
> >  gap is a system for computational discrete algebra with particular
> >  emphasis on computational group theory, but which has already proved
> >  useful also in other areas.   In the example text, gap is used to
> >  analyse Rubik's Cube using group theory.  A kernel, which makes
> >  use of readline, implements a pascal-like language. Many libraries
> >  and data bases are included.  A thorough html manual is included.
> >
> > At least, that's the old description, I'm going to change it a bit, and
> > split out the manuals in other packages. (gap-doc-dvi, gap-doc-pdf,
> > gap-doc-html), and I've packaged a newer upstream version than the current
> > gap package, which is frankly oooold.
>
> If you're upgrading it to version 4, be aware that Markus Hetzmannseder
> has packaged that (as gap4* - I've just realized that some of them are
> sitting in incoming/REJECT though, bah), and I'm sponsoring him. That
> said, he hasn't responded to my mails about problems in the packages.

Hmm.. Okay.. Maybe I should let the old gap packages die a merciless death
instead then. I have seen gap4-doc-* packages and reacted on that there
was no gap4 package, which is why I decided to ITA gap when it was
orphaned. How long ago was it you heard something from him? It'd be
interesting to coordinate efforts if nothing else!

Maybe I should adopt/package something else instead... gap 3.4 really
should go out since it's hideously old and gap 4 is really nice, but if
the gap4 packages are stalled... I dunno... Ideas?

Martin

PS: All you other kind people who offered to sponsor me, put it on hold
for a while... Thanks anyway!

--
Martin Sjögren
  md9ms@mdstud.chalmers.se       ICQ : 41245059