Re: More problems

Steve Langasek:

> Do you ever intend to release this software as a tarball for use outside
> of Debian?

Yes, the tarball that I create for Debian is also distributed from my
homepage (together with Debian packages compiled for potato, for those that
do not use unstable), along with a RAR package with the OS/2 and Win32
versino and CRLF formatted version of the sources.

> If so, the standard caveat applies that making this a "native" package
> means you will have to increment the version number of the software every
> time there's a correction to be made in the Debian packaging,

Yes, I do that already. I have had releases that are only Debian changes. I
generally do not offer those from my own homepage. But they do create a new
release, and are noted in the official documentation as new releases, since
the Debian packaging is part of the distribution. That is a feature, and
since I am the only "upstream" maintainer of the program it works fine. For
packages involving more people, I keep the Debian packaging separate and
following standard practice with -1 versinos etc (even though I have Debian
packaging in the upstream CVS in two cases, but on a different branch
invisible from the standard branch).

> I suspect you'll find that other uses of this file would not be
> well-supported by the makers of the related Debian packaging tools.

That's too bad. I've always seen the use of a shared changelog between all
binary packages from a source package as a big misfeature of Debian
packaging.

--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  Statement concerning unsolicited e-mail according to Swedish law:
  http://www.softwolves.pp.se/peter/reklampost.html