moving a conffile?

Hello,

I have a config file in one of my packages that I've tagged as a conffile.
Upstream has redesigned configuration handling, and there is now a new config
file, with a new format, that /supersedes/ the existing conffile.  I would
therefore like to no longer distribute this old config file, but I would
/also/ like to be able to do a one-time import of the old config data into the
new config location, IFF [ -e old_file -a ! -e new_file ] && the administrator
consents, destroying the old config file afterwards.

Is there a way to do this that doesn't run afoul of policy wrt my earlier
decision to mark the config file as a conffile?

Thanks,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer