Re: More problems

Peter,

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, peter karlsson wrote:

> > Since this is the Debian changelog rather than an upstream changelog, the
> > majority of changes noted are specific to the shared debian directory, of
> > which there is precisely one for any set of binary packages that are built
> > from a single source package.

> Well, first of all, since I am both the "upstream" developer and Debian
> maintainer of the package, I release it without tacking on a "-1" at the
> end, which makes the package "native". This also means that the Debian
> changelog lists the relevant changes between the versions (the source
> changelog lists changes on a file by file basis and is useless to an
> end-user). Since the two binary packages generated deviate slightly in the
> set of features added to each new versions, I want to differentiate thes log
> messages of these two packages.

Do you ever intend to release this software as a tarball for use outside of
Debian?  If so, the standard caveat applies that making this a "native"
package means you will have to increment the version number of the software
every time there's a correction to be made in the Debian packaging, which can
be confusing to non-Debian users and a hassle for you.

Since the vast majority of packages in Debian are not native, the changelog
handling seems to be designed for the case where debian/changelog is used only
for tracking changes to the Debian packaging itself.  I suspect you'll find
that other uses of this file would not be well-supported by the makers of the
related Debian packaging tools.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer