Re: How do I control ownership of installed package files?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:24:31AM -0400, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> > >   install: install-stamp
> > >   install-stamp: build-stamp
> > >         install stuff
> > >         chown someuser stuff
> > >
> > >   binary-arch: install-stamp
> > >         build package
> > >
> > BTW install-stamp is evil, don't use it.
>
> I've heard that before (and taken the advice), but - as I mentioned in
> another thread, much of my memory is now on a failing device...  I can't
> for life of me remember why...
>
> Why is install-stamp more evil that build-stamp (other than the fact
> that the install should run much faster) ?

It's mainly evil because dh_make's template had it wrong for a long time.
If you make a stamp file for that target and it includes dh_clean, which it
did in the template, then if you run 'fakeroot debian/rules binary' several
times, the *.debhelper files would get added time and time again, producing
a lot of duplication in the package scripts.

Of course, if the things are done right, and tested, install-stamp would
probably work fine.