Fragen

moin, moin,

I foresee needing to ask several questions in the near future and want to
make sure I'm asking things in the right place and not SPAMming up lists
inappropriately :).

Is there a debian mailing list specifically for sys_adm type of stuff? Most
of my questions will be in this area.

OK, now to my current question:

I've got a box running stable with apt 0.5.3 out of testing. It appears that
the lists dir has moved from /var/state/apt/ to /var/lib/apt/.

This version allows apt-getting a specific version of a package as well as a
package from a specific dist, e.g. stable, testing, unstable.

It appears, however, that all of the package lists get shoved into
/var/lib/apt/lists/ so that after adding testing or unstable to sources.list
dist-upgrades will now go to the most recent available packages. This is
actually what dist-upgrade is supposed to do, I think, but it's not my
desired behavior.

What I want is to be able to run stable ( or testing ), yet grab specific
packages from a less stable dist. Because debian's package interface works
properly this also gets the dependencies, though it would be nice to be able
to request the lowest common denominator, e.g. if a testing package depends
on libfoo that isn't intalled and libfoo out of stable works grab that, not
the most recent libfoo that is in testing. I can live without this for now.

I have been using a couple of alternative apt.conf files for some time to
keep my package lists from getting muddied by multiple dists. It actually
works well, but I want something I can point everyone at. I can apt-test,
apt-uns and apt-sec for testing, unstable and security. The last is great
for crons :).

Bug #94061 is a wishlist similar to what I'm looking for, but I want to know
if I'm just overlooking something.

I'd prefer dist-upgrade to either default to stable or the newest version
that's been upgraded to ( as listed in /etc/debian_version perhaps ). In
either case there needs to be a method to move to a different dist, e.g.
from stable to testing, then maybe back again when woody is released.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.