Re: has xabacus been adopted ?

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

> > It's your package. One thing you could do when you start working on it is
> > to remove the conflict between xabacus and xmabacus - there are better
> > solutions in Debian when two packages share the same file.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> I've been looking thru xabacus code for the last days and tried to resolve this.
>
> Now, I haven't found yet a better solution "when 2 packages share the same file". Policy is really strict about this :
>
> 11.7.4 Sharing configuration files
>
>    Packages which specify the same file as `conffile' must be tagged as
>       conflicting with each other.
>
> Now at the moment the /etc/X11/app-defaults/Abacus file isn't tagged as 'conffile' (or is it ?).
> Any hint ?

/etc/X11/app-defaults/Abacus should be tagged as a conffile and you are
right, I forgot that this file should be a conffile. This prohibits a real
nice solution.

The only solution that seems to be possible is to include the app-defaults
only in xabacus and to let xmabacus depend on xabacus.
But that's not a real nice solution, too.

Independent from the question whether you let the conflict or if you
change the packages the last three lines of the description should be
removed - it doesn't sound good and a package installed using
"--force-overwrite" will confuse apt.

> I'll post on debian-mentors too.

Cc'ed because of this.

> Cheers,