Re: Non-English software

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 09:34:03AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Sat, 19 May 2001 12:17:09 +0200 (CEST),
> peter karlsson <peter@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:
>
> > What's the thought about software which is only available in a
> > non-English language? I am thinking about packaging a client for the

> Please go ahead.  If someone non-Swedish finds the software in
> Debian packages and feels it is very useful, he/she may start
> a project to translate it into English or other languages.  It
> is exciting!
>
> However, the software will have to have a license document in English.

No. Why should debian force authors/maintainers to write licenses
in English? IIRC, the consensus of the last discussion about
non-english licenses was that the original license is legally
binding and the english translation serves only as a description
and hint about the real license for us linguistically challenged

IMHO short notice in debian/copyright in English, saying something like:
"The original license in Swedish says you can freely distribute, use and
modify the program" is enough.

FWIW, my next free software project will have a license in Esperanto