Re: Non-English software

Hi,

At Sat, 19 May 2001 12:17:09 +0200 (CEST),
peter karlsson <peter@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:

> What's the thought about software which is only available in a
> non-English language? I am thinking about packaging a client for the
> LysKOM server, which is only available in Swedish (there's some support
> for gettext, but no-one has bother translating the program into any
> other languages yet).

We, Debian JP Project http://www.debian.or.jp/ , have packaged
many Japanese-oriented softwares and uploaded them to Debian.
Then what occured?  Some non-Japanese people asked us how to use
them and possible bugs and so on, which means that Japanese-
oriented softwares are sometimes useful for non-Japanese people.
Please go ahead.  If someone non-Swedish finds the software in
Debian packages and feels it is very useful, he/she may start
a project to translate it into English or other languages.  It
is exciting!

However, the software will have to have a license document in English.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/