Re: Non-Free License? (was Weird source tarballs)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Bradley Bell wrote:

> It looks like it is just making explicit the restrictions which already exist
> in law (whatever those might be), and is not part of the license per se.

If the license references a law that restricts the rights of certain users,
and this law results in a certain class of users (US Gov't. employees) having
different rights than other users, then it's not DFSG-compliant because the
discrimination is being done in the license itself.

If the rights of certain users are restricted by law, and the author mentions
this in the documentation as way of explanation but does *not* reference the
law in the license, then the license itself is DFSG-compliant (the author
isn't imposing the restrictions, the government is).  So if the license
currently falls into the first category above, getting the author to clarify
that the restrictions are not part of the actual license should be enough to
get it into main.

If the regulation being referenced actually brings the rights of US Gov't.
users into line with the rights of everyone else, I think it's DFSG-compliant,
but IANAL and that question should probably be asked on debian-legal.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer