Re: buildd building environment

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 10:36:31AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I know a little about buildd, but I guess that it try to build a package
> and it if fail someone take its logs and submit a bug report.
> At the end of the build process I guess that the build environment is
> totally cleaned and that survive only a build log.
Not quite, you are mixing up buildd and sbuild, IMHO. buildd is running on a
buildd machine, just checking which packages need to be built for this
architecture. The acutal package building is performed by sbuild, which is
probably called by the buildd (I only use sbuild myself). sbuild is
(usually) building packages in a chroot environment, which contains
(usually) only essential packages. sbuild checks the Build-Depends provided
by the packages, plus overrides and special source depends (like patches
needed to build a package on a certain arch, sources of other packages which
need to be unpackaged in a certain directory for the package to build).

> Is it possible to have access to a snapshot of the build environment ?
Totally unofficial packages (DO NOT FILE BUGS, needs manual configuration!
I know there is no official Debian group...)
  http://people.debian.org/~cts/wanna-build/

> I asked this cause I receive a bug report, but I need to better know the
> situation in which the failure occured to find and solve the bug.
I don't think something is wrong with sbuild or buildd. If it finds a
problem, its usually a package problem, a missing Build-Depends, a binary
which is not a vailable as a debian package but used by debian/rules, a
layout of directories which only exists on your machine, trying to write
files where they should not be written to, etc. If you have the bug report,
you probably also got a build log? That should tell you more about the
problem.

If you want to know more about sbuild, read the source, or ask Roman or
James, who wrote it.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/