Re: upstream new version

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:18:26AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> >What i use to do is either :
> >
> >  1) just apply the diff file to the new package, chmod +x debian/rules, and
> >  check that nothing broke.
> >
> >and once in a while i also do :
> >
> >  2) do a dh_make on the new upstream source, and one by one migrate the stuff
> >  done for the previous version to the new version. this needs :
> >
> >    -> applying all patches to the upstream source that are still needed.
> >
> >    -> modifying debian/rules os that it does the same things as the previous
> >    version
> >
> >    -> copy the debian/changelog file and add a new entry there. (is there a
> >    tool for doing this, or do i need to do it by hand like i currently do ?)
>
> debchange (in the devscripts package).

Thanks, didn't know about this.

> >    -> copy the rest of the stuff, checking it is still needed/don't need to
> >    be modified.
>
> Sounds like a large amount of extra error-prone work to me, although I
> suppose running dh_make every so often is one way of keeping some bits

Thought so also :)))

Also will look at what dh_make will propose to me about about multi-binaries.

> of policy vaguely up to date. I just use uscan/uupdate to unpack the new
> source and try to apply the old diffs for me.

Yes, but, ...

Often the diffs are no more valid, or may apply, but will not work as
expected.

Also, since i send my patches also upstream, often the patches i have need no
more to be applied, but will also not be detected to be already applied, since
upstream may have changed them a bit.

But then i guess it depends on the package, and as for me upstream provides
good quality releases, and also accepts my patches, this is the easiest way
for me.

Friendly,

Sven Luther