Re: Question about testing and multi binaries ...

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:23:23AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> >Say i have a multi-binary package, where one of the binaries does not get
> >build for one of the arches (namely arm in this case).
> >
> >In this case, does the binaries that get build for all arches go into testing,
> >and not the one which only gets build for some of them, or does all the
> >binaries from the source package need to get build.
>
> All binaries need to be in sync on all architectures if they are
> present, but they're allowed to be absent. The whole source package and
> all binaries built from it are treated as a single unit for the purposes
> of testing.

:((((

> If you've stopped building a binary package for one architecture, you
> need to make sure the ftpmasters remove it from that architecture
> (they'll probably notice themselves eventually, but filing a bug against
> ftp.debian.org doesn't hurt) before it can get into testing. If it was
> never built for that architecture, it doesn't matter.

The problem is that i have a package, ocaml, which builds fine on every arch,
save the native code version of 1 library that don't build on arm, because of
a arm assembly code generation bug in upstream. I don't speak arm assembly
language, and asm code generation is a rather difficult problem anyway.

What i would like to do, is to split the package, and move the problematic
library in its own package, that will not be build for arm until the problem
is solved. Thus enabling the most part of ocaml to go into testing, as it is
pretty stable anyway, and well, no other package uyse said library that i know
of.

Now, the other solution would be to disable arm native code generation, but i
think this is most uncool, since it works for everything less this binary.

I can also wait for upstream or the arm porters to fix this, but i would like
best that ocaml goes into testing as soon as possible.

> >Is there any documentation on making multi binary packages ? I did search a
> >lot around, and the only thing i found is the
> >/usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/rules.multi and multi2 files, which don't
> >explain that much, and don't seem very readable ...
>
> Looking at multi-binary packages by competent maintainers?

There are so many multi-binaries package out there, and no documentation
provided on how to do this. This is not a good thing.

Friendly,

Sven Luther