Re: upstream new version

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:48:49AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I've to build a new package against a new upstream version released by
> the upstream author of one of my packages.
> What I have to do to merge the new upstream version in the old one
> debianized source tree ?
>
> Have I to unpack the new orig file and copy in it the old debian/ dir ?

What i use to do is either :

  1) just apply the diff file to the new package, chmod +x debian/rules, and
  check that nothing broke.

and once in a while i also do :

  2) do a dh_make on the new upstream source, and one by one migrate the stuff
  done for the previous version to the new version. this needs :

    -> applying all patches to the upstream source that are still needed.

    -> modifying debian/rules os that it does the same things as the previous
    version

    -> copy the debian/changelog file and add a new entry there. (is there a
    tool for doing this, or do i need to do it by hand like i currently do ?)

    -> copy the rest of the stuff, checking it is still needed/don't need to
    be modified.

Friendly,

Sven Luther