Re: dh_installman and X11 apps

Carlos Laviola wrote:
> You're not supposed to put the manpage wherever you want to, even if it is a X
> program. dh_installman puts the manpages into their respective sections, e.g.
> if you have foo.1, it'll be but on section 1. If you have foo.1x, it'll be but
> at /usr/X11R6/man/man1 for being in X's section 1.

     _Packages using the X Window System should abide by the FHS standard
     whenever possible_; they should install binaries, libraries, manual
     pages, and other files in FHS-mandated locations wherever possible.
     This means that files must not be installed into `/usr/X11R6/bin/',
     `/usr/X11R6/lib/', or `/usr/X11R6/man/' unless this is necessary for
     the package to operate properly.

Current versions of debhelper abide by this by never installing manual pages
into /usr/X11R6/man/ at all. After all, the location of a man page there is
quite unlikely to be necessary for a package to operate properly. I've
talked this over with Branden Robinson and I think debhelper is doing the
right thing.

--
see shy jo