Re: Correct way to do binary-only NMU?

* Itai Zukerman

(please don't cc me, I'm on the list)

| 1.  If all you're doing is a compile for a new architecture, then why
| is it necessary to bump the package version?  If you modify *anything*
| in debian/* (for example, the Architecture or Build-Depends fields in
| debian/control), then it seems to me this isn't a binary-only NMU.

If you just compile for a new version, then you don't bump the version
number.  It's just if you have to recompile (that you bump the version
number).  The reason one might need to recompile might be that
glibc2.1 had a bug which was fixed in 2.2.  You don't want the package
to be rebuilt on every other architecture, just because of that.  If
you are fixing any bugs, then it's a source NMU.  And if it's a source
NMU, you bump the debian revision by 0.1.

| 2.  Suppose you bump the package version but nothing in debian/*
| changes.  Then to re-build the package from source I need to run a
| special command; "debian/rules build" won't give me quite the same
| thing, right?  So I need to know how the binary was built to compile
| it properly myself.

No, it will work the same in both cases, but the debian revision
number will differ by 0.0.1.

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.