Correct way to do binary-only NMU?

Hi,

how do you invoke dpkg-buildpackage for a binary-only NMU? In section
8.2 "Guidelines for Porter Uploads", the Developer's Reference says:

    In a binary NMU, no real changes are being made to the source. You
    do not need to touch any of the files in the source package. This
    includes debian/changelog.

However, I need to change the package version! (I need to append
".0.1" - I only recompiled the package with a newer version of GCC to
make it work.)

I first tried "dpkg-buildpackage -B -m'...' -v1.0-1.0.1", but this did
not produce a deb with the correct version. The Reference continues:

    Sometimes you need to recompile a package against other packages
    which have been updated, such as libraries. You do have to bump
    the version number in this case, so that the upgrade system can
    function properly.

Do I interpret this correctly as

"...and in that case, you *can* change debian/changelog to alter the
version number, even if the entry will only appear in the .changes
file, because you must use 'dpkg-buildpackage -B'" ??

Adding to changelog and using -B seems to work fine. Is this the
correct way of doing it?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  CS student at the Technische  |  GPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  Universität München, Germany  |  888354F7
  ¯ ´` ¯