Re: Installing symbolic links

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:22:07PM -0600, Ben Burton wrote:

> Hi.  I am packaging an application for which the original source installs
> itself all into the same directory.  In order to comply with the FHS, I have
> split the application into pieces beneath /usr/lib, /usr/share and /usr/bin.
> So the application can find data where it expects to, I am making a symbolic
> link from /usr/lib/snappea/... to /usr/share/snappea/....
>
> I am currently setting up said link by including a snappea.links file in my
> debian/ directory, and everything works fine.
>
> However, if a user on a non-debian system unpacks the sources and types "make
> install", the link will not be created since it is being made by the dpkg
> installation procedure.

If you split the installation by modifying the upstream makefile, you
should probably install the link at that time.

> Is there a clean way of having "make install" create the symbolic link and
> having dpkg-buildpackage ignore the "make install" link and refer to
> snappea.links instead?

Why can't you just have the link inside the .deb created correctly by
the make install?  Or am I missing something?

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/