Re: Installing symbolic links

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:22:07PM -0600, Ben Burton wrote:
> Hi.  I am packaging an application for which the original source installs
> itself all into the same directory.  In order to comply with the FHS, I have
> split the application into pieces beneath /usr/lib, /usr/share and /usr/bin.
> So the application can find data where it expects to, I am making a symbolic
> link from /usr/lib/snappea/... to /usr/share/snappea/....
>
> I am currently setting up said link by including a snappea.links file in my
> debian/ directory, and everything works fine.

Maybe it would be better just to patch the sources to search for stuff in
different directories.

> However, if a user on a non-debian system unpacks the sources and types "make
> install", the link will not be created since it is being made by the dpkg
> installation procedure.
>
> Is there a clean way of having "make install" create the symbolic link and
> having dpkg-buildpackage ignore the "make install" link and refer to
> snappea.links instead?
>
> Is this something I should even be concerned about?

Well, no, because it's safe to assume that users on non-Debian systems will
either use the .deb as it is or use the pristine upstream sources. If one
can do dpkg-source -x foo.dsc then they ought to be able to do fakeroot
debian/rules binary, too...