Re: Security upgrade for potato by new major version and distro change?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:38:15AM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:13:57AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > You should always be able to backport a patch.  If not, I'm sorry, but that
> > this should be one quality of a Debian maintainer, you lack something...
> Martin? It it the quality of a Debian maintainer to find the right line(s) in
> a 100k C/C++ patch and moreover feeling sure enough about it to say that this
> fixes the security hole in one often used package?!?!?!  Programming did not
> fall under the requirements of a maintainer, last time I checked.

If a maintainer cannot program in the language in which her package is written,
how will she fix bugs, test patches, and generally understand how the packaged
software works on the inside?  Such a maintainer is not a very effective one.

That said, an exception to the backporting rule could be made for fixes which
result in a major code rewrite that would be very difficult to duplicate in the
old version.  That possibility has already been mentioned in this thread.

--
 - mdz