Re: Security upgrade for potato by new major version and distro change?

* Matt Zimmerman

| On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:38:15AM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
|
| > On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:13:57AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
| > > You should always be able to backport a patch.  If not, I'm sorry, but that
| > > this should be one quality of a Debian maintainer, you lack something...
| > Martin? It it the quality of a Debian maintainer to find the right line(s) in
| > a 100k C/C++ patch and moreover feeling sure enough about it to say that this
| > fixes the security hole in one often used package?!?!?!  Programming did not
| > fall under the requirements of a maintainer, last time I checked.
|
| If a maintainer cannot program in the language in which her package is written,
| how will she fix bugs, test patches, and generally understand how the packaged
| software works on the inside?  Such a maintainer is not a very effective one.

So, for instance, the maintainer of postgresql must know perl, tcl, C,
C++, python and java/jdbc very well? ( since it is written in C, and
has interfaces for all the programming languages mentioned.)

Of course, having an understanding of the programming languages is
helpful, but IMHO not required in order to be a maintainer.

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.