Re: When is DAM approval supposed to happen?

comments inline.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:16:56PM -0600, dvdeug@hushmail.com wrote:
> At Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:36:50 -0600, "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 05:54:31PM +0100, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> >You want to start a flamewar before you are a dd? Thats neat, but I
> >don't take it.
> >
> >> PS: Bah, what is a year of waiting in a human being's life?
> >I am waiting since quite some time for to confirmation for my new job,
> >and I think its worth it. You don't loose the year, there are many things
> >to do, at least thats how I see it. YMMV.
>
> How about answering the (valid) points instead of dismissing them off hand
> as flamebait? I've been reading debian-newmaintainer-discuss, and found
> several cases were someone's been put on hold for not answering an email
> in a couple weeks. Is it not fair to complain when the DAM is going to take
> a leave of absense for a few weeks without notifying the waiting maintainers?

As my mother told me "life's not fair".

You do not even know _why_ he is delayed? I'm hoping it's nothing serious, but
if it were? while all you people sit here and chatter about what _you_ want,
well.. who knows.
it's understandable that humans are inherently selfish, but show some
restraint and empathy perhaps.

> If it takes a year to complete my application, I will quit. I have a number
> of other projects I'd like to do - Project Gutenberg, GCC, several free
> software projects of my own. It's not worth hanging around a year for a
> project to accept me as a volunteer. It's unreasonable to hinder a volunteer
> from doing work for Debian for a year for no good reason - and having one
> person as a bottleneck is not a good reason.

While a year is long, this is by no means the most common, the mode of length
(in days) for 'awaiting DAM approval' is a pitiful 4 days.

While your case is different - well, there all always exceptions, show me one
system where someone doesn't fall through the cracks, I'm not saying that your
situation is not important, but appreciate that you are by no means the
majority, nor the rule.

If you have other projects you'd like to do, and you consider it 'not worth
hanging around a year', maybe Debian is not for you? Perhaps your interests
would be better served in adopting a nonofficial role, and dedicating your
time to your other projects where you can act more autonomously?

I'm not trying to push you away from Debian or anything like that, or
suggesting that you should do this, but if you really feel this way perhaps
you should reexamine your choice.

It is understandable that one may be frustrated when being held up by
situations beyond their control, but this is just the way large organizations
work in the real world, i.e. they are imperfect *shock*.

Of course this does not mean that you should accept their imperfections - try
to fix them, but often this means that you have to go through the system, in
order to obtain a position of respect and power, where you are able to enact
the changes you desire.

$0.02
 - brian.
--
Brian Russo <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu> GPG ID: 54D81666
404E 87E8 DD0C 275B 742B  09AD 2243 839C 54D8 1666