dpkg-genchanges cannot open upload file

     I am modifying the vera source package to make both the vera and
dict-vera binary packages.

     debian/rules binary properly builds the source tree, and makes
debian/dict-vera.deb and debian/vera.deb.  When I run either
dpkg-buildpackage or debuild, it fails with the message:

dpkg-genchanges: not including original source code in upload
dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot open upload file ../vera_1.6-2_all.deb for reading: No such file or directory

     The two debs are built in debian/, and the parent of the build
directory contains a .diff.gz, a .dsc that lists only the .orig.tar.gz
and .diff.gz, and an empty .changes file.

     I can't tell from the manpage which of the dpkg-* tools is
responsible for moving the .debs up to the parent directory.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <hilliard@debian.org>