Re: How to deal with lintian "E: missing shlibs information"

hi! :)

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:33:59PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'm building a python bindings file with ecasound, and I've decided I'd call it
> python-ecasound just like other python binding packages...

does it provides shared libraries or modules that maybe loaded runtime?

> Now, lintian tells me thus :
>
> E: python-ecasound: no-shlibs-control-file usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/libpyecasound.so
> N:
> N:   Though the package includes a shared library, the package does not
> N:   have a shlibs control file. If this is intentional, please contact
> N:   lintian-maint@debian.org about this so that this error gets included
> N:   in the overrides file for Lintian. (With that, Lintian will ignore
> N:   this bug in the future.)
> N:
>

> What should I do? Put a debian/python-ecasound.shlibs ?
if it is a shared library you should write a {$PACKAGE_PROVIDING_THE_LIBRARY}.shlibs
in order to let the system know who is providing what. so that in making other packages
depending on your shared library the others will correctly make them depend on your
package.

if it is not a shared object (probably it is a plugin or the like) it doesn't
need the shlibs stuff.

> What should I put in there.

please read the packaging manual in the developer's corner online, it is a good
thing and you have to feel comfortable with it. :)

> What really makes me confused is the fact other python packages do not
> seem to have this error generated from lintian, and yet they do not seem
> to have the shlibs file either.

do they provide libraries or plugins?