RE: some questions about packing

On 07-Dec-2000 Manuel Estrada wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
>  I am packing visualos, dhid and jslaunch as part of my aplication to
> become a debian member and I have some cuestions:
>
>  First, where should I send the ITP message? debian-devel
> debian-mentors or both.

should go to debian-devel and the package wnpp in the debian bug tracking
system.  Your first upload should close this bug.

>  Is there some automated way to keep the .ex files and not include
> them in the source package?

leave them in the debian/ dir.  They will appear only in the diff.gz.  Beyond
that, nope.

>  I am having trouble packing jslaunch:
>
>  1) The package contains a file called 'jstest' which is also present
> in 'joystick' and a manpage for it. jstest only serves for
> configuration of jslaunch.
>       -Should I rename jstest to jslaunch_showbuttons and rename and
>        modify the manpage to refer to that name?
>       -Should I move jstest to /usr/lib/jslaunch/ and the manpage to
>        /usr/doc/jslaunch?
>       -Is there some way to make sure this won't happen with some
>        other package I don't have installed? A part from getting the
>        Contents file and checking manualy.

nope, you have to deal with conflicts as they appear.  Best answer is to rename
the binary and let the upstream know that they should also consider renaming it.

>  2) It doesn't use a pidfile, but it has it's own way of determining
> the pid of a running jslaunch with locking.
>       -Should I modify it to use a pidfile?
>       -Maybe extend start-stop-daemon to find the pid with locking?
>       -Simply use its own facility to start and stop it.

whatever works (-:

>  3) It comes with its own init.d script which includes an aditional
> parameter.
>       -make a new script based on the init.d.ex?
>       -remove the aditional parameter and use the original script?
>       -simply make sure that start, stop, restart, and force-reload
>        are supported by the original script and use it?

as long as the debian required options are there, you are fine.