Re: what task-imap is for ?

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Jaume Teixi wrote:

> I'm trying to find an imap server that supports ldap
>
> I've seen courier and cyrus and then task-imap but......
> ......I see that task-imap depends on either (imap, cyrus-imap or
> courier-imap) so really isnt' a server ?
>
> What exactly is for ?

The idea of the task-* packages was that with 5,000 packages and counting
Debian and its' tools such as dselect were getting to difficult to use
particularly for less experienced users.  How is Joe Newbie supposed to
know whether to use imap, or cyrus, courier or something else.  Instead
by installing task-imap he can just say "give me an IMAP server" and trust
Debian to install a suitable default.  Which may not be perfect but good
enough to get the job done.  Same for task-c-dev, task-games etc. tasksel
is a simple alternative to dselect which only displays the task-* packages.

That was the plan.  In practice, a lot of people have misunderstood the
point of task packages and now they seem to be used a lot for grouping a
big bunch of packages altogether so they can be installed in one go.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>