Re: Wrong permissions

Eric Van Buggenhaut <eric@eric.ath.cx> wrote:
>I'm a DD to be, waiting for the DAM to open my accounts. I want to
>adopt an orphaned package called crafty, a chess game player. i rebuild
>a new package since there's a new upstream code.
>
>The package installs opening books in /var/lib/crafty. Since the
>program also "learns" how to play, it regularly updates these opening
>books. Although I explicitely specified in debian/rules to change the
>permissions on those files to rw-rw-rw, my files in
>debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty are still rw-r--r--.

Mode 666? Are you really sure? I can't see any justification for that.
Perhaps use 664 instead and make the program setgid.

dh_fixperms is removing the extra write permissions - see its man page.
You either need to exclude some files or change their permissions after
calling dh_fixperms.

>I also noted all the files belong to me. Is it correct ?

Yes, because you can't chown() anything unless you're the superuser.

>If I run 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' as root, files belong to root,
>which looks saner, but it doesn't ask for any GPG key.

Install the devscripts package and use 'debuild' instead, which has the
added bonus that it automatically does a lintian check for you.

A few other nits about the posted debian/rules:

>	rm -rf debian/tmp debian/files* core debian/substvars

dh_clean will clean up all of these for you.

>	dh_installdirs
[...]
>	cd debian/tmp && install -d `cat ../dirs`

dh_installdirs should already have done this.

>	install -s crafty debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty.bin

A DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip facility (see policy 4.1) would be nice
here.

Cheers,