Re: dh_clean leaves some debhelper files around

Yves Arrouye wrote:
> > It always used debian/tmp -- this is by design.
>
> That doesn't encourage people to use DH_COMPAT=2 for multipart packages. Or
> they'd have to make sure their first package has a name that won't change
> (e.g. not libwhateverXX!) or do something similar to what I use:
>
> # This is the debhelper compatability version to use.
> export DH_COMPAT=2
> firstdir := $(shell sed -n 's/Package: \(.*\)/\1/p' debian/control | \
>     head -1)
>
> dh_movefiles --sourcedir=$(firstdir) -pxxx ....
>
> Maybe as a wish list item for a later release of debhelper? I am not sure
> what the design buys a package using DH_COMPAT=2 since nothing goes into
> debian/tmp.

debhelper (2.1.17) unstable; urgency=low

  * dh_movefiles.1: well I thought it was quite obvious why it always used
    debian/tmp, but it's a faq. Added some explanation. By the way, since
    there now exists a documented way to use dh_movefiles that does not
    have problems with empty directories that get left behind and so on, I
    think this Closes: #17111, #51985

 -- Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>  Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:07:42 -0700

NOTES
       Note  that  files  are  always  moved out of debian/tmp by
       default (even if you have instructed debhelper  to  use  a
       compatability  level  higher  than  one,  which  does  not
       otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at  all).  The  idea
       behind this is that the package that is being built can be
       told to install into debian/tmp, and  then  files  can  be
       moved  by  dh_movefiles  from that directory. Any files or
       directories that remain are ignored, and  get  deleted  by
       dh_clean later.

--
see shy jo