eggdrop .so plugins

hi. i'm adopting eggdrop, while sitting in NM. i've got the latest version
of eggdrop building ok, after some heavy Makefile.in hacking, but lintian
is giving me this error:

-- snip --
E: eggdrop: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/eggdrop/modules/channels.so
N:
N:   The listed shared libraries contain object code that was compiled
N:   without -fPIC. All object code in shared libraries should be
N:   recompiled separately from the static libraries with the -fPIC
option.
N:
N:   Another common mistake that causes this problem is linking with ``gcc
N:   -Wl,-shared'' instead of ``gcc -shared''.
N:
N:   Have a look at Policy Manual, section 4.2 for details.
-- snip --

that section of the policy manual deals with shared libraries. these .so
files aren't exactly shared libraries, they are loadable modules for
eggdrop. and eggdrop doesn't provide any mechanism for compiling
additional modules outside the original source tree, so there's no way to
make a -dev package.

so, do i ignore the message, or do i hack Makefile.in to add -fPIC on
those .so files?