Re: Installing files in /etc

>> My only thoughts are an evil hack where I edit debian/rules to have
>> $(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr
> etcdir=`pwd`/debian/tmp/etc
>> and then use ${etcdir} for the config file install directory with it
>> defaulting to /etc in the Makefile.in.
>>
>> Modifying the Makefile.in and configure.in extensively are no problems
> since
>> the upstream maintainer sits right next to me. ;-) What's the correct
>> procedure?
>>

> Try:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> and then
>
> $(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr sysconfdir=`pwd`/tmp/etc

If it's using autoconf, there's a chance that the package also lets you
specify DESTDIR to install, as in:

    $(MAKE) install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp

Try 'info autoconf' it lists all the directories that can be used (like
sysconfdir), along with their meaning; and these can be set by saying
--nameofdir=/location at configure's time.

YA