Re: Installing files in /etc

Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org>, wrote:
> Try:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> and then
>
> $(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr sysconfdir=`pwd`/tmp/etc
>
> $(sysconfdir) is auto{conf|make}'s /etc directory.

The problem with this method is that when a non-debian user downloads the
source and does ./configure && make install, their config files end up in
/usr/etc by default which is not where they belong. The debian directory is
going to be part of the upstream source archive, so I can't interfer with
normal installation.

That's the reason I was thinking of making a new variable that defaulted to
/etc, but was able to be changed. If there were an AC_SYSCONFDIR_DEFAULT, it
would be perfect. I've found AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT -- is there an sysconfdir
equivalent?

re: DESTDIR -- it's not used in the Makefile.in. I also can't find it in
'info autoconf' or the html manual...

Thanks a lot for your help, btw.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <terpstra@javien.com>