Re: binfmt_elf module

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 05:02:53PM -0700, Richard Hecker wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have been hacking on a system I upgraded from hamm to woody
> during a bunch of other modifications.  I am about at wits-end
> so I will play the poor newbie_in_NM_queue role.
>
> I just tried downgrading to potato and now I find the following
> situation:
>
> dpkg --install --force-downgrade --force-conflicts ldso_1.9.11-9.deb
> libc6_2.1.3-10.deb
>
> You are using the binfmt_elf module to support ELF binaries.  This will
> not work because the system programs required to load the modules will
> themselves be ELF binaries.

>  ldso_1.9.11-9.deb
>  libc6_2.1.3-10.deb
>
> Could someone please explain what this means?
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard A. Heckers

Looks like you've compiled your kernel with BINFMT_ELF as a module, or you've
got a really old kernel that doesn't support ELF. This is bad BAD _BAD_.
All (most) executables on your system will be in ELF format (including
insmod, modprobe, rmmod etc) so you can't run these programs to insert the
binfmt_elf.o module into your kernel. Do a recompile of your kernel with
BINFMT_ELF enabled ...

Hope this helps,

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)