binfmt_elf module

Hi;

I have been hacking on a system I upgraded from hamm to woody
during a bunch of other modifications.  I am about at wits-end
so I will play the poor newbie_in_NM_queue role.

I just tried downgrading to potato and now I find the following
situation:

dpkg --install --force-downgrade --force-conflicts ldso_1.9.11-9.deb
libc6_2.1.3-10.deb

You are using the binfmt_elf module to support ELF binaries.  This will
not work because the system programs required to load the modules will
themselves be ELF binaries.

 ldso_1.9.11-9.deb
 libc6_2.1.3-10.deb

Could someone please explain what this means?

TIA,

Richard A. Heckers

"if it isn't source, it isn't software"
brought to you courtesy of NASA