RE: rpath (was Re: Two questions about policy)

> I was wondering about rpath as well.  I maintain a couple
> packages that drop 5 function libs for regina-rexx in /usr/lib.
> There are probably another 6-8 that someone might package.
> /usr/lib could soon be as bad as /var/lib/dpkg/info.  You can
> pretty much go for coffee on your first 'dpkg -S'.
>
> I modified regina to use rpath and stuck the function libs in
> a subdirectory.  This seems to work well with no negative side
> effects that I can see.  Anyone know what the potential problems
> are with this?

Another thing you could do is to stuck the libs in a subdirectory and have
your postinst and postrm edit /etc/ld.so.conf. That sounds like the
traditional way to me, but then that was before rpath...

If rpath is not evil, then maybe lintian shouldn't warn about it?

YA