rpath (was Re: Two questions about policy)

Simon Richter wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>
>> rpath hardcodes an item's location.  If this item later moves,
>> everything using it gets confused. rpath is generally frowned
>> upon.
>
> rpath adds additional path elements to the search list. Libraries are
> still found in the standard directories.

I was wondering about rpath as well.  I maintain a couple
packages that drop 5 function libs for regina-rexx in /usr/lib.
There are probably another 6-8 that someone might package.
/usr/lib could soon be as bad as /var/lib/dpkg/info.  You can
pretty much go for coffee on your first 'dpkg -S'.

I modified regina to use rpath and stuck the function libs in
a subdirectory.  This seems to work well with no negative side
effects that I can see.  Anyone know what the potential problems
are with this?

Rick