Re: Logging procedure/mechanism questions

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 01:30:56PM -0600, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> I guess my question is:  Are the 'scripts' in /etc/logrotate.d that the
> Policy Manual refers to, full-fledged shell scripts, or simply snippets of
> a logrotate configuration?

Logrotate configuration snippets.

> If I create a file, /etc/logrotate.d/portslave, with the following contents:
>
> --- Cut Here ---
> /var/log/portslave.log {
>         rotate 5
>         weekly
>         compress
> }
> --- Cut Here ---
>
> will that be sufficient?  And what should the permissions be on
> /etc/logrotate.d/portslave?  700?

Yes and 755.

> And another question.... just out of curiosity... Why does logrotate depend
> on mailx?  What's special about mailx that any other MUA won't provide?

the name of the command, "mailx"

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

<MrCurious> by the power of greyskull
<MrCurious> someone tell me the ban to place
<Sopwith> mrcurious: *.debian.org, *.novare.net
<philX> *.debian.org.  that's awesome.
        -- Seen on LinuxNet #linux